Thursday, December 25, 2008

My 2008 Top 10 Singles - Chinese (# 6-10)

#6. 貪生怕死 - 黃耀明
Genre - Folk Rock
From King Of The Road (Oct 3, 2008)



Ming Gor is HK's most innovative and daring musician. He is not afraid to try new images, include sensitive topics in his songs, or make 360 degree changes in music style every now and then. 90% of the songs in his 2008 album does not include electronic arrangements and instrumentation he and his PMPS group are known for. Instead, more real and acoustic are used to back up his voice. 貪生怕死 showcases Ming Gor's beautifully delicate vocals, his masterful control of emotion throughout the entire song... The lyrics of the song are also very meaningful and is worth reflecting upon.



#7. 跑步機上 - 容祖兒
Genre - Dance Pop
From In Motion (Sep 1, 2008)



I've always detested Joey's songs... until now. 跑步機上 and many of her songs in this album finally allows her to step out of her karaoke queen box and just let her explore more possibilities. This song has been frequently played during my workout sessions. I've now come to appreciate the energy that Joey brings into her upbeat tunes... she's one of the few female singers in HK who has that ability... This song and album has changed the way I look at her.


#8. 嬅麗緣 - 楊千嬅
Genre - Pop
From Wonder Miriam (Sep 26, 2008)



Picked this song totally out of personal reasons. I've liked Miriam since I was in grade 6. This is a song filled with lyrics and names of 30 songs throughout her career. It's such a great gift to fans like me... but the timing is a bit awkward... wouldn't it have been better if it were to be released before her All About Love concert last year?



#9. 我係邊個 - 林海峰
Genre - Pop Jazz
From 我哋大家 (Mar 7, 2008)



Jan Lamb's first attempt at jazz. It's surprisingly soothing! Of course I don't expect spectacular vocals from him, but the lyrics and his interpretation really suits the laidback and lassez-faire attitude of this genre of music.



#10. 甜蜜蜜 - 薛凱琪
Genre - Pop
From Smile (Dec 19, 2008)



I actually wanted to pick something from Khalil Fong's album, but since I haven't received it yet, a song written by him would do the job! I've always admired Fiona, she's like Miriam about ten years ago. The cute girl-next-door image, the somewhat uniquely sweet music style... 甜蜜蜜 is really really sweet, I'm sure a lot of guys like me would love to be the "Mr. Wrong" in the song.





No comments: