Sunday, December 28, 2008

My 2008 Top 10 Singles - Chinese (# 1-5)

#1. Over The Rainbow - at17
Genre - Folk Pop
From Over The Rainbow Vol. 1 (Jul 16, 2008)

at17's best song to date. It delivers a strong wave of positive energy on a bad day. There's always a ray of hope at the end of the day, even in the worst possible scenario. Every aspect of the song is perfect. Ellen and Eman's interwining harmonic voices, the lush of string and brass back-up, it just paints a bright picture and brings a warm smile on your face. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again.




#2. 少年維特 - 何韻詩
Genre - Alternative
From Ten Days In The Madhouse (Dec 12, 2008)


If at17's Over The Rainbow brings a rush of positive envergy, Hocc's Young Werther will drop your mood to the rock bottom and turn your smile into a frown. They are a pair of polar opposites. From the first deep piano note to the dark percussion and string arrangement, from hocc's dark and deep tone in her voice here, to Wyman's lyrics about our generation's sorrows and troubles, ...everything in the song makes you sad and angry. And when a song is able to make my mood swing one way or another, it's a good song.






#3. 囍帖街 - 謝安琪
Genre - Pop
From Binary (Jul 25, 2008)



Kay Tse has become one of my top favorites this year. Album after album, she has proved that she's the real deal. 囍帖街 in many ways is a perfect pop song. Well handled vocals, meaningful lyrics, memorable melody. My only hope is that her live performances can be more stable.




#4. 然後怎樣 - 陳奕迅
Genre - Pop Rock
From 不想放手 (Jun 30, 2008)


A question that I've asked myself over and over again this year.... What Happens Next? Obstacles are present in every step of my way since my graduation... It looks like I'm now taking a long way to get to my goal... when almost everyone else is already there.

#5. 花不痛 - 古巨基
Genre - Folk Pop
From Guitar Fever (Sep 12, 2008)


Tanya Chua wrote a great song. Leo Ku has finally returned to his most natural vocal performance style. Thank God. The lyrics are worth thinking about, Our hearts ache because we allow it to ache, be glad when it happens.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow...this sounds like a great list. I haven't paid much attention to Leo Ku this year, so he doesn't make my list.

I don't have Ten Day in a Madhouse yet. But I picked 韻律泳 from hocc.

Love 囍帖街 and Over The rainbow. :)