Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Convocation . Funeral

Our convocation speaker said... "Commencement speakers are like the host at an Irish wake, people have to be here, and they don't expect you to say much."

Believe it or not, Mr. Segal's speech was actually the highlight of the ceremony, in my opinion, it wasn't boring, or long-winded, or filled with words and phrases that normal human beings rarely use in conversations. The speech was quite enjoyable and humorous, there were also some points that I could take home and reflect upon.

Ellen (at17) wrote on her blog over a year ago a passage that I still remember:

"今天去了一個天主教的畢業禮. 看到很多有心人, 有些人傷心, 有些很平靜, 但令我最感動的是他們全都很有愛心.... 神父說了一句讓我很欣慰的話, "死亡不是生命的結束, 而是改變" 所以我相信我今天去的是一個畢業禮, 而不是一個喪禮."



To me, my convocation today was a funeral. It was to commemorate the past 22 years of my life. From the moment I walked across the stage, shook hands with the school officials, received my degree, I realized I am no longer a kid.

My convocation signified the end of my reckless years, and the beginning of my adulthood. Am I growing up to be the person I wanna be? I'm not quite there yet, but I've been making pretty good progress. :)







No comments: